TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint dysfunction) is a medical problem effecting the temporomandibular joint which is a hinge connecting your jaw to your skull. The most common cause of the disorder has to do with sleep and trauma.
What are the signs and symptoms of TMJ pain?
1. Aches and pains - Headache, jaw, ear, facial, neck, shoulder or back pain. Pain when chewing.
2. Jaw problems - Inability to open mouth comfortably, locking of the jaw.
3. Unusual noises - Clicking, popping or grating sounds in the jaw or ringing in the ears.
4. Tenderness - Scalp and throat.
5. Swelling to the face or jaw.
6. Decreased hearing.
7. Dizziness and vision problems.
8. Teeth grinding and teeth clenching.
9. Your bite feels uncomfortable or off.
1. Bruxism - Teeth grinding and clenching, usually while sleeping. These constant habits can cause trauma resulting in muscle spasm, and inflammatory reactions.
2. Osteoarthritis - Your jaw join, like any other joint in the body, is prone to arthritic changes and can result after a breakdown of the joint (degeneration).
3. Rheumatoid arthritis - A progressive disease which causes inflammation and destruction to the cartilage and bones, which deforms the joints.
Diagnosis and treatment for TMJ
At Thirroul Dental Studio we will maker sure we conduct a thorough review of your condition including; a postural examination cranial examination, a dental exam and a neurological exam.
Our examination will look at how your are able to use your jaw, joint sounds, inflammation, pain, your sleep patterns and a scan of your head and neck.
Following this a treatment plan will be put together to alleviate some of your pain and help correct your bite. We may also design custom splints to help you breathe and sleep easier. The key thing is you don't have to suffer. Contact us today to arrange an initial examination.