Worn teeth is nothing to be ashamed of and is something that can be easily treated with cosmetic dentistry. Having worn teeth can effect your oral health and effect your confidence. Tooth enamel can get worn away over time for a variety of reasons, resulting in more sensitive teeth that are susceptible to decay.
We can treat worn teeth with an orthodontic intrusion, gum recontouring, porcelain veneers, crowns or composite veneers.
How do teeth wear down?
This is the gradual loss of enamel through general wear over time. This can happen from speaking and eating however, more serious wear comes from bruxism, when you grind your teeth.
This occurs when foreign objects or activities wear away the enamel, such as:
- Excessive or forceful brushing
- Fingernail biting
- Chewing on pens and other objects and
- Oral jewellery such as lip, tongue and cheek piercings
Erosion to the teeth occurs when chemicals break down the tooth enamel. This commonly comes from an acid and includes:
- Citrus Foods - Lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruits, all containing citric acid
- Drinks - Mostly soft drinks, sports drinks and fruit juices which are very acidic. Coffee and tea, which contain corrosive acids. Also red and white wine, which are also highly acidic
- Stomach Acid - People who are bulimic or those who suffer from gastric reflux are susceptible to erosion
- Dry Mouth - Dehydration, reduced saliva gland function and some medications can all cause a reduction in the amount of saliva present in the mouth. This leaves more acidic saliva in your mouth, which can be damaging